A yam is a root vegetable that is made up of carbohydrates. A Yam is a common food in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. It is similar in appearance to a sweet potato, but it has rough, scaly skin that is brown or black in color.
The flesh of a yam can be white, yellow, or purple, and it is usually sweet and moist. Yams are a staple food in many parts of the world and are used in a variety of dishes, such as stews, soups, and casseroles.
In terms of vitamins and minerals, yams are particularly rich in potassium, with a 100-gram serving providing about 670 mg of potassium, which is about 14% of the recommended daily intake.
Yams are also a good source of vitamin C, providing about 20% of the recommended daily intake per 100 grams. They also contain small amounts of other vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin B6, manganese, and copper.
Types of Yams
There are different types of Yams that can be found around the World. Here are a few names:
1. White yam: This is the most commonly consumed yam variety and is characterized by its cylindrical shape and brown, rough skin. The flesh is white and has a slightly sweet taste.
2. Yellow yam: This type of yam is larger than the white yam and has a yellowish-brown, rough skin. The flesh is yellow and has a slightly firmer texture than the white yam.
3. Purple yam: Also known as ube, this type of yam has a deep purple skin and flesh. It is often used in desserts and other sweet dishes.
4. Chinese yam: This yam has thin, brown skin and white, crispy flesh. It is often used in Chinese cuisine and is believed to have medicinal properties.
5. Winged yam: This yam has a thin, purple skin and is characterized by its wing-like projections at the base. It has white, starchy flesh and is often used in African and Caribbean cuisine.
Health Benefits of Eating Yams
Yams are Nutritious Carbohydrate food and their importance is vital to human health. Here are a few benefits of Eating Yams:
1. Yams are Good source of fiber: Yams are a good source of dietary fiber, which can help promote digestive health, regulate blood sugar levels, and reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, and colon cancer.
2. Yams Are Rich in antioxidants: Yams contain several antioxidants, including beta-carotene, vitamin C, and anthocyanins, which can help protect the body against oxidative damage and reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
3. It Boosts Immune Function: The vitamin C and other antioxidants in yams can help boost the immune system, which can help prevent illness and infection.
4. Good For Reduction Of Blood Pressure: Yams are a good source of potassium, which can help lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart disease. They also contain compounds that can help lower cholesterol levels.
5. Supports Healthy Skin: The vitamin C and beta-carotene in yams can help promote healthy skin by protecting against sun damage, reducing inflammation, and promoting collagen production
Which Yams are the Healthiest For Human Consumption
Research has it that white yams are the healthiest for human consumption. White yams provide resistant fiber to the body which makes them ideal for weight loss. They contain certain health benefits like prevention of High blood sugar.
Read Also: The Do’s And Dont’s Of Poultry Farming